Friday, July 11, 2014

Mish-Mash

I'm really backlogged on some photos so I thought I'd post them up now before I retire for the night. 

I was in the City last weekend and I purchased a Panasonic Lumix 20mm f1.7 lens for my Olympus E-P5 camera. I was really torn between this lens ($399) and the Olympus 17mm f1.8mm ($539) one. As you can see, the big jump in price was what made me consider the Panasonic one instead. I'm new to photography (manual settings and such) and I'm new to prime lenses, or pancake lenses as they are affectionately known as. The reason why I bought myself a pancake lens was because the kit lens that came with the E-P5 (14-42mm f3.5) was not producing as good quality images as I'd hoped it would. It's not a terrible lens, but I was looking for something that would give me a better depth of field effect.

So anyhow, I bought the lens after much consideration and have been testing it out in various settings. I have 16 days to try it out and return if I don't like it, which is great. So that day, I walked around the city for a bit and took a couple of photos here and there. It was a really, really cold and windy afternoon so I didn't really spend too much time standing around trying to compose my photos. I had heaps of help from Mr. C, who has also developed an interest in photography. He explained to me patiently about aperture settings, shutter and ISO settings, and helped me a great deal in capturing photos. Thanks dear! I am still pretty much an amateur and will learn more as I go along. 

We passed by the fortnightly Sunday flea markets at Reddacliffe Place, just outside the Brisbane Casion in the City. It's called "Suitcase Rummage" and as its name suggests, sellers have to sell their pre-loved items out of a suitcase. Mr. C and I have sold our pre-loved items there before once or twice, and it was good fun. We made some money too, out of things that we would otherwise discard.


Saw some funny plants as well, I don't know the names of them but the first one down below looks like some kind of snow-covered plant, really cute and reminds me of Rudolph the Reindeer. The second one looks like some kind of lettuce that one would put in his/her salad. I'm sure it's edible (I think?). The third plant was something boring but I was just trying to test out the f1.7 aperture effect. This lens seemed great so far.




R1, my 1 meter tall rainbow cuddle buddy says hi:


Doesn't he look like such a bag of pure cotton-ey joy?

No comments :

Post a Comment