Monday, July 28, 2014

Gardens by the Bay, Singapore

I was sieving through some of my photos and I saw a couple that I took a few months back when I was in Singapore for holiday. Mr. C and I went to the Gardens by the Bay in the dead of the night at about 1am, to look at the beautiful super trees! It was my 2nd time there and Mr. C's 1st time. 

The place is really beautiful and it looks like a scene out of Pandora from the movie, Avatar. Amidst neat and lush gardens, are these 16-storey structures that have more than 200 different species of plants planted on/around them. I have never been there during the day, but at night it is just simply amazing. These trees are lit and there's a light show every night. I don't know about the show but I think we got there, it was over already. The lights were just slowly changing colors but it was still very calming and very beautiful.

Everybody who visits Singapore should see this place at least once. I have not fully explored this place, there are still the different enclosed garden domes that I have not seen, and many other areas.  Will make it a point to explore more the next time I'm back.






The backdrop is of the gorgeous Marina Bay Sands luxury hotel, with the infinity pool on the 54th storey. I've been there once and I really like it. It's very pretty despite always being very crowded almost all the time. 

As we strolled through the Gardens in the darkness (yes I was shit scared that there might be lizards), we passed by this funny area, I have no idea what purpose it serves so I think it might just be purely for show.  Still, it was kinda cute and there were only the 2 of us under that dome so I took pictures of Mr. C doing silly things:




Am right now feeling so blessed to be a Singaporean. Safe, clean, convenient and beautiful. Sure, we have certain systems in place that many people dislike, but hey which country is perfect? Having lived abroad for over 6 years, I do think Singaporeans do have it relatively good. People complain about housing and cars being so expensive in Singapore, about having no work-life balance etc. I totally agree but please don't forget how small a country we are. How is it sustainable if we have slack work conditions and cheap housing/cars? Singapore is definitely a playground for the rich, but it is also a country full of opportunities, much more than where we currently are. Many people in Singapore have not lived abroad before, 1 or 2 weeks of holidaying in a foreign country is not called living. Again, no place is perfect. It's all about trade-offs but for me, I would take Singapore any day, warts and all. Which is also why Mr. C and I are planning to go back in the near future.

The grass is always greener on the other side. Learn to give thanks.

No comments :

Post a Comment