Sunday, May 04, 2014

We love Straddie


So we went on a day trip out to North Stradbroke Island (or affectionately known as "Straddie" to the locals) yesterday and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. To be honest, I was a little apprehensive about going for 2 silly reasons- (1) I'm not exactly a nature-lover, I mean I love nature and I'm all for conservation but I don't necessarily like being immersed in it, given how shit scared I am of reptiles/amphibians, and (2) The news of the ferry that sank in South Korea kinda made me a little afraid of getting on any ferry. Yes I am silly like that.

But I was really glad that I went anyway. Straddie was insanely beautiful! Having been in Australia for almost 6 years now, I was surprised at myself for not discovering such a gem of an island earlier.

We drove for about 30 min to Cleveland Station and took a 25 min ferry-ride to the island. The journey to Straddie itself was already gorgeous.



Here's a picture of my man and I. It was very cold and windy, luckily we were pretty prepared for it. Am so in love with my quilted black faux leather jacket I got from Target (It was half-price at $40! What a steal!).


Here's one with Ash, she's also a fellow Ph.D student and a wonderful new friend I made recently.


We had fish and chips for lunch. It was crazy expensive and the food was really crappy. I did not enjoy it all. This whole meal was freaking $65! What a rip-off! The fish was not fresh, it tasted so fishy and horrible. The fries were blah and the calamari rings and scallops were quite tasteless.


After a disappointing lunch, it was time to explore Straddie and it sure was impressive!










We made our way down to this beach (below) and we played frisbee for a little while! I did wish that I had brought a change of clothes so I could've go into the water.


Here's a picture of all us. An international mix of Persians (majority), Singaporeans and an Indian!




We even spotted a beach wedding! It was in a little corner of the beach that was surrounded by tall rocks and it was just incredibly beautiful. You had to be there to see it.



We had some popsicles after our walkabout and then we headed home. It was really cold by then as the sun was setting and we were tired after a long day.


So yes, we had heaps of fun that day, lots of laughter and smiles and good memories. Straddie is really one of the most beautiful islands I've ever been to and I do look forward to visiting it again. This time, I would pack my own lunch from home though.

No comments :

Post a Comment