Sunday, June 14, 2015

Lego Minecraft and Lego Architecture: The Craze Continues..

Went slightly cray cray yesterday afternoon after spending the day marking students' assignments at Uni. I still have a stack of unmarked papers sitting in the boot of the Husband's car.

We had a quick lunch and decided to stop by Mr Toy's Toyworld in Jindalee. Some of the Lego items were on offer and so we quickly snatched some up. We got 3 boxes from the Minecraft series and 1 from the Architecture series. 

I think Minecraft is a pretty cool game! It has a little "old school" feeling because everything in the game is designed to look pixelated, much like the games we used to play on MS-DOS in the 1990s. The concept of the game is pretty simple, just go around collecting items (mainly cube-shaped) and constructing stuff out of them. At night, cute "monsters" come out so hopefully you'd have built sufficient shelter during the day to protect yourself then. Nothing complicated, just good, clean, healthy fun. What's cool is that Lego made it into one of its own series and managed to recreate the pixelated look as in the game! It's still Lego, but the pixelated version. How cute!

We got "Minecraft: The First Night", "Minecraft: The Farm" and the "Crafting Box". What I like about these sets is that you can basically remodel them in whichever way you want, they provide other options as to how else you can build the structures, so there's heaps of flexibility in there which I think is pretty amazing. You can also combine all the sets together to create a World.

Lego Minecraft

"The First Night" is essentially Steve's house. It's pretty adorable, he has a very cute pen with swivel gates that hold his pixelated pet pig. It also comes with the Creeper (a creeper plant), which is one of the cute monsters in the game. Steve's home can be swiveled open to reveal his very basic living quarters.



"The Farm", as its name suggests, is Steve's farm. He's growing wheat, carrots and  sugarcane. A stream runs through his wee farm too. Again, he has a pen with swivel gates that hold his pet cow and sheep. There's also a treasure chest holding a stick of bread. The monster in this set is the Skeleton. This set also comes with a pixelated pumpkin head, which you can interchange with the standard characters' heads (see 2nd picture below where Steve is wearing the pumpkin head).



The last Minecraft set is the "Crafting Box". I guess this isn't a set per se, more of like a box full of random pieces where you can build whatever you want. They have 8 suggestions of structures that you can build. I particularly like the TNT cubes and also the animal minifigure that comes with this set, the Mooshroom! Essentially, a red-and-white coloured cow with mushrooms on its back, modeled to look like the Amanita Muscaria mushrooms! How adorable!


The other set I got was the Architecture one, of the famous "Trevi Fountain" in Italy. I don't usually like this series but I made an exception for the fountain because I think it looks really cool and ornate, especially with the transparent blue tiles that simulate water. In place of the 3 statues that stand behind the fountain, there are 3 plain white Lego minifigures instead. I thought they looked pretty silly in a cute way, and so I took a liking to that straightaway.

The other Architecture set, the "Sydney Opera House", was given to me as a gift from my cousin who has been in Brisbane for the past month as part of his Medical School elective exchange module. This was part of his and his friends' thank-you gift for taking them around during this time. I was very touched to receive this set indeed. I don't have cousins that I keep in touch with, our family is a little weird in this respect, so I was really happy that I got to reconnect with him after almost 20 years of not seeing one another! He leaves in a few days so I'm pretty beat about that, sigh.






Anyway, I haven't gotten round to opening any of the sets yet. Just admiring them in their pristine, unopened state, ha! I'm not crazy. Lego is an expensive hobby, but I would say it's well-worth the money for the experience! Yes, I'm absolutely nuts for Lego!

Am currently waiting to receive 2 more sets from the States, the Simpsons' "Kwik-E Mart" and the modular set, the "Detective's Office". I'm not too big a fan of the Simpsons' but the Kwik-E Mart is super, super, super detailed and just looks crazily amazing, I couldn't not get hold of it. 

Simply put, I cannot resist sets that are related to farms and animals, homes, food and restaurants!

No comments :

Post a Comment