Monday, January 05, 2015

Lucky Find

I have to blog about this. While in Singapore, Mr. C and I had the famous Song Kee fishball noodles for dinner. It's a little coffeehouse along a busy main road in Serangoon, pretty nondescript and quite worn down little shop.


I don't usually eat at such places due to hygiene reasons (I'm quite a germ-a-phobe), but I make an exception for Song Kee! I really love their handmade fishballs, their slippery meat dumplings and their chilli sauce! They are also pretty generous on their fried pork lard bits but more on that later.

Oh my, just looking at this picture is making so hungry. 


And now to the fried pork lard bits. As its name suggest, they're bits of deep fried chopped-up pork lard! This is commonly used in Asian cooking to add the extra oomph to any dish. Many of my friends avoid it like the plague because they are health-conscious, but me? I LOVE IT. I don't get to eat it anymore now, or at least in the past 6 years that I've been in Australia, so I cut myself some slack when I am back in Singapore! FYI fried pork lard is the only kind of animal fat that I like to eat.

So anyway, I was just happily eating my noodles in the sweltering night heat and lo and behold, at the bottom of my bowl sat a HUGEASS PIECE OF PORK LARD! It was Heaven right there before my very eyes! Call me a glutton, but it really made my evening. Heck, it made my day worth living, ha!


Mr. C just looked on and clucked disapprovingly but I was really too elated to care. For a moment there, it just felt like there was only the pork lard and myself against the world, just the two of us, a secret moment of sheer joy and happiness that no one else will ever understand. HAHAHA sad but true.

I hope I will be this lucky again! I reckon it's like striking the lotto but better!

No comments :

Post a Comment