Monday, September 15, 2014

Good eats in Singapore

So during the whole 1 week that Mr. C and I were in Singapore, we were so busy that we didn't get the time to pig out as much as we normally would. We still managed to check out 2 places though, (1) 老街肉骨茶 (Lao Jie Pork Ribs Soup) and (2) The Coffee Connoisseur. Okay I know (2) is not new but I think they've up-ed their game quite a fair bit since the last time I dined with them.

(1) 老街肉骨茶 (Lao Jie Pork Ribs Soup) somewhere near Ubi. 

This place is just along a busy road and is very unassuming from the outside. We chanced upon this place when we were making our way to meet our florist in Ubi! A happy accident. This place may look run down and old but the interior is anything but. We stood at the counter waiting for someone to take our order only to be told that we have to order using the iPad that was attached to every table.

Image taken from cavinteo.blogspot.com



We ordered 2 sets of combo meals and each set comprised of a bowl of soup with a generous serving of pork ribs, steamed jasmine rice, fried dough fritters and a bowl of sweet beancurd dessert. We ordered an extra dish of 梅菜扣肉 (picked vegetables with stewed pork). Everything was soooo good!






Would love to go there again with my folks. Although their signature Pork Ribs Soup is not the best I've had, I would definitely patronize them again because unlike most roadside coffee houses in Singapore, this one is quite clean and welcoming. The best Pork Ribs Soup I've had is Ng Ah Sio's at Rangoon Road. It's super peppery and super tasty! The only downside is that it is not very conveniently located and the coffee house is very old and not-so-clean.

(2) The Coffee Connoisseur at MBS  

TCC is a chain of restaurants and they serve quite nice food. We had pasta that day.


My creamy chicken and mushroom spaghetti topped with cheese.


Mr. C's black pepper spaghetti with soft shell crab, fish roe and asparagus. I did not like the gravy base of this dish at all, it was too sickeningly sweet and I couldn't taste any black pepper at all.

No comments :

Post a Comment