Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Lego-mania (Part II) - Parisian Restaurant


I want to show off my beautiful Lego set #2 which is the Parisian Restaurant, in this post. This is a modular set and opens up different from The Simpsons House. Each level is loosely attached to one another so you can remove them quite easily. I cannot stop raving about how intricate this set is, and how beautiful it looks- both inside and outside. I absolutely adore this to bits. 

It's labeled "expert level" but honestly there wasn't too much of a difference between this one and The Simpsons House set. There were just more tiny bricks and for us, the main challenge was actually finding those pieces amidst everything else. 


 
Here is the completed set, both the front and back. Check out the plaster-style croissants on the roof! Stereotypical but still very cool.




Yesterday I talked about how Lego includes tiny details here and there throughout their sets and here's a little example. While building the al fresco area, I noticed that the instructions called for us to make out the word "Chez" (which means 'the home of' in French apparently, and yes I googled it) on the floor using differently colored tiles. This by itself is actually pretty pointless since those tiles are overlaid with other tiles and the "Chez" word isn't visible anymore after the set is completed. Still, it was a nice touch and just added to the whole building experience.


So at this al fresco area, we see our lovely couple dining, sharing what seems to be an over-sized and slightly-burnt croissant (if I didn't know the French better, I'd have thought that all they ever ate were croissants). If you look closely at Blondie over there, you can see that he is holding a gold ring! He is proposing to his girlfriend, Ginger.


 
Check out the tiny menu! The words are actually visible, there are entrees and desserts on there. How cute! I also love the strange green and dangerous-looking plants behind the wooden bench. They were really fun to put together.




In the kitchen, which by the way is my absolute favourite part of the restaurant, a Chef is standing over an enormous chicken/turkey with his carving knife in hand. You can see the amount detail in the kitchen from this shot. From the array of kitchenware to the wall clock, the cupcakes and cheese pie (private joke, haha) on the counter, the functional cupboards, the tiny stove and thermometer, and the fridge which contains cartons of milk and slices of cheese! I love it so much!


Let's take a look round the back of the restaurant. You'd have thought that there wouldn't be too much detail there since it's at the back and nobody usually goes round to have a look.  But to my surprise, it is equally detailed as the front! The climbing vines on the wall are such a pretty accent. There is also a little mouse/rat nibbling away at the leftover cheese! The little green bin and the blue skip can both be opened and they contain old sausages, bones, cherry stems and more pieces of cheese.


Let's go up to the 2nd level. There is a little balcony area which I assume is where people chill out at, given that there's like a tiny little bar in the corner. Note the undulating wall- it's so beautifully textured. I think the creators of this set really went all out to include every bit of detail, even the walls are interesting!


The interior of the 2nd level is like a hotel room. Perhaps this is where the Chef lives. There's a comfy swivel chair in front of the fire place which by the way, contains a plastic little orange flame, and then there's also a fold out bed (yes it folds backwards against the wall) and not shown here is the mini kitchenette at the other end. Check out the lovely bay seats by the window!



The 3rd level is like a tiny attic where "Picasso" works. The hemispherical section of the roof is hinged at the bottom so it can swing outwards to reveal the 3rd level. Picasso-man is painting something so abstract now. His additional canvas (completed work) is behind him. The cute studio lighting is above him and the fireplace is behind him.



This set is part of an entire Lego city that includes a pet store, city hall, a movie theatre, a fire brigade and so on. I've seen pictures of all the sets put together and they really look lovely. But I'm not going to buy everything of course, I'm very happy with this Parisian Restaurant set. I hope they release a Chinese Restaurant set soon! I look forward to the detailing.

So that brings me to the end of my Lego adventures! For now. I hope you enjoyed my little review of the 2 sets!

No comments :

Post a Comment